Has your air conditioner gotten to be noisy over the years? Is it suddenly making a racket? If so, you may need air conditioner repairs. Here are a few reasons why air conditioners in Richmond, VA might start to create a ruckus:
Your Air Conditioner Is Getting Close to the End
AC units can last for upwards of 15 years with proper maintenance. If your system is getting old, it may be roaring instead of purring. Older units lack the noise-muting features of newer units, and they also tend to get louder with age.
You Need Air Conditioner Repairs
If your cooling system starts making noises, schedule AC repairs immediately. Here are some of the noises that air conditioners make when they’re struggling:
- Grinding usually indicates a worn bearing or a fan motor problem.
- Rattling suggests that something is loose inside the unit.
- Whistling or hissing can mean a refrigerant leak. This is likely to be the case if your AC isn’t cooling your home.
- Squealing, rattling, and squeaking can signal excessive internal pressure building up inside your air conditioner. Squealing can also indicate that the outside fan motor or indoor blower components are going bad.
- Buzzing, humming, and clicking usually mean electrical problems.
- Banging and clanking can be caused by a loose, unbalanced, or broken part inside the compressor. The compressor itself might be loose and in need of replacement. The indoor blower assembly or outdoor fan mechanism might be out of balance and striking other system parts.
- Shrill screaming can mean a refrigerant leak or mounting internal pressure inside the compressor.
Frightful air conditioner noises can often be avoided with preventive AC maintenance. To learn more, visit AirMaxx Mechanical online or call (804) 212-3339 to schedule AC repairs or an AC tuneup.